The long-awaited Action Role-playing game (ARPG) Torchlight: Infinite by XD Entertainment PTE Ltd. has finally been released in Open Beta worldwide. Torchlight: Infinite is available on Steam, Nintendo Switch, Google Play, iOS App Store, and TapTap.
About Torchlight: Infinite
Torchlight: Infinite is an action-packed Hero based role-playing game. Clear out the various zones and help bring back order to the land of Leptis. The game allows players to build their character using the infinitely big skill tree. There are 4 basic classes of heroes, and players can choose one and develop different skills. The game gives its players extreme freedom regarding what kind of character they are trying to build. Loot Zones and collect items as you take down Bosses of each zone to ward off the evil.
About the Developers
A little information for the newcomers, XD Entertainment PTE Ltd., is a team of Chinese game developers who also happen to be the Co-Founders of TapTap. TapTap is the biggest mobile game downloading platform in China. Aside from that, “XD” is a renowned name in the gaming industry for its previous works, such as ICEY and many more.
A lot of marketing and hype went into the release of Torchlight: Infinite, and rightfully so, as XD had made several promises to its fanbase; some it kept, others not so much.
Key features of the Game
After a closed beta, Torchlight: Infinite has finally been released globally as an open beta on October 11, 2022. Some of the game’s key features are listed below for your better understanding.
- There are primarily 5 Heroes; Berserker Rehan, Divineshot Carino, Spacetime Witness Youga, Commander Moto, and Frostfire Gemma. Each class has its style of attack. For example, Frostfire is a long-range AoE class, while Berserker is a close-range AoE class.
- There is a Gacha system. One of the most controversial aspects of this game has to be the Gacha system. Players can obtain pet-like creatures called “PactScripts” through gacha, legendary Pactscripts having a 2% pull rate.
- Intricate and practically an ocean of skills and abilities. This allows players to have their build unique and personalized. The developers beautifully executed this.
- Damage numbers in the game are incredibly high from the start, and each skill upgrade gives players a massive boost in stats, but the game is also challenging from the start.
- Offering over 24 talent tabs, 200+ Legendary Gear, and over 230 skills to choose from, Torchlight: Infinity has done a phenomenal job giving the players the complete freedom to build their Heroes according to the playstyle of their choice.
- Torchlight: Infinity also has some beautifully designed terrains and character models. Going from lands with patches of ice and fire to a land full of the green marsh as you wreak havoc on all the monsters that come your way.
Backlash from the Community
Despite the long-awaited launch, it hasn’t been all sunshine and roses for Torchlight: Infinity and XD Entertainment PTE Ltd. Promising to not have any predatory Pay to Win (p2w) aspects to the game was something all the enthusiasts of the genre were excited to see.
However, months before the official Open Beta was released, Content creators were told that there weren’t going to be any p2w aspects to the game and that everything in the game could be obtained simply by grinding it.
The introduction of a gacha system, with the legendary Pactscripts having a 2% pull rate and allowing up to 6 duplicates before maxing each Postscript is downright predatory and p2w. Especially since these Postscript actually impact the players’ performance quite a lot.
The community is accustomed to ARPGs with p2w aspects. But Torchlight: Infinite is in the limelight because the developers claimed not to add anything like this in the game. They went so far as to mock Diablo Immortal for its p2w issues but ended up doing the same thing.