In recent years, there have been considerable developments regarding integrating the Metaverse in mobile gaming to make it more approachable to a wider audience. This is possible by using the most widely accepted and flexible technology.
What is the Metaverse?
The Metaverse is an idea for a 3D online arena that connects individuals from all facets of their lives. Like how the internet connects several websites accessible through a single browser, the Metaverse links various platforms. Although the concept of a metaverse was formerly considered a work of fiction, it now appears to be the future of reality. This idea was created in Neal Stephenson’s science fiction book Snow Crash.
The Metaverse and Mobile Gaming
With millions of smartphone gamers among the billions of smartphone users globally, it is easy to assume that the Metaverse will also extend into the mobile gaming sectors. So let us now see how the Metaverse will be affecting the mobile gaming industry:
- Social Gaming: The mobile gaming industry will be impacted by the ability of the Metaverse to connect players regardless of location. By connecting and communicating with others in real time, users might deceive themselves into believing that they are doing so in the physical world. Players may engage with the environment in a way that encourages connections since the Metaverse is inherently social. The ability to interact with other players and invite friends from the real world will give multiplayer gaming a new level.
- Immersive Experience: Nobody is sure of the true extent of metaverse immersion. It appears to rely on VR and AR technologies. However, augmented reality dominates the scene on mobile devices. The newest rumors claim that Apple has postponed the release of its “Apple Glasses” augmented reality headset until 2023.
- Play-to-earn gaming: There will be more engaging play-to-earn games available. It is probably one of the critical components of a crowd-puller for online gaming in the Metaverse. Players can do various helpful tasks when operating as a team. However, some of these in the Metaverse include individuals selling their possessions to other users in exchange for money, cryptocurrencies, or other goods.
The Metaverse would become the primary source of revenue for gamers and other future digital workers. It would develop into an online gaming and money-making hub, contributing significantly to the country’s economy. One game that gives users the chance to participate in the Metaverse and get money from third parties is Playermon. This game type features a more complex in-game economy that enables players to convert virtual earnings into real money.
Mobile Games Implementing the Metaverse
- Roblox: Roblox is an online community where users may play games made by other users and make their own. The platform offers a variety of user-made virtual worlds and video games, from simulations and obstacle courses to classic racing and role-playing games.
- Axie Infinity: The play-to-earn strategy is used in this game. Players engage in player vs. player combat using the Axies they gather, grow, and breed (similar to Pokemon). AXS, the game’s token, may be used by players to buy and trade creatures for actual money.
- Decentraland: Decentraland is a decentralized virtual reality platform with 90,601 pieces of land. It is a metaverse where users may produce, consume, and make money from content.
- The Sandbox: The Sandbox is a mobile game first made accessible for iOS and Android on May 15, 2012. Pixowl designed it, and Animoca Brands acquired it in 2018. Players in the game can interact with each other in parallel 3D realms that resemble a metaverse. Users can trade things created in-game through the “OpenSea” market.
Future of the Metaverse and Gaming
Immersive gameplay is the main emphasis of gaming. Now that the power of the Metaverse has been linked with gaming, its whole focus will change, becoming a different source of income. The combination of gaming and the Metaverse would usher in a new era of gaming fueled by NFTs, assets, portable game assets, improved immersive gameplay, and revenues, among many other factors.
Even though virtual reality has been around for a while, the high expectations for its future have never materialized. In the Metaverse, the circumstance is vastly different. Due to their desire to be among the first adopters, investors and IT companies are particularly interested in it. The Metaverse is yet an “uncharted land” in mobile gaming. However, recent predictions suggest that it will develop and alter, enabling users to access immersive social features.